Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Did someone say pie?

Sweet potato, that is.

Some friends invited my husband and I over for dinner Sunday, and lo and behold, my friend took a pie out of her oven. And then she proudly announced that I could have some because she had gone to Whole Foods and bought a GF pie crust. I ate my pie with gusto. Ain't friends great?

So, then I started thinking about sweet potato pie and all the other pies I could make. But sweet potato remains at the top of my list. It's one of my favorite foods because you can do so much with it. How many other vegetables can you roast in the oven with olive oil, garlic, salt and parsley, then turn around and make a pie out of? Not to mention that it's so good for you.

Sweet potatoes are considered one of the world's healthiest foods, and are high in vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene) and vitamin C, which makes it a wonderfully natural anti-inflammatory food. You'll also get a good dose of potassium, B6, iron, and everyone's personal favorite: dietary fiber!

So the next time you get a craving for pie, try sweet potato pie. It's still pie, but hey, you're getting some healthy benefits. How many pies can say that?